Industrial platform scales are a versatile tool that can be used in a variety of industries for many types of applications. They can withstand heavy uses and are often a required asset in factories, food processing, chemical and pharmaceutical industries, just to name a few. However, as with most equipment, platform scales need to be maintained regularly to ensure that they continue to perform well and accurately.
Here are three steps to help you keep your industrial platform scale in good condition:
1. Clean your scale
Industrial platform scales that are used in certain applications, for example, in manufacturing or processing environments, can be exposed to a lot of dust and moisture. To begin with, you should ensure that the scales used in these settings are easy to clean and resistant to both dust and moisture. Then, all you need to do is use a damp cloth to wipe the scale down after use. Some models can be used in wet areas, so these can be easily washed with water.
2. Keep away from extreme temperatures
Industrial platform scales are precision instruments and they are generally made to operate in temperatures from 0°C to 40°C. If they are exposed to extremely hot or cold temperatures, they might become inaccurate, and the displays may not function as they should.
3. Calibrate your scale periodically
When you first purchased your industrial platform scale, it should have been calibrated for weighing accuracy in the location it is used. However, to ensure its weighing accuracy, scales should be recalibrated occasionally, or whenever they are moved to new locations.
Besides the steps above, here are some quick tips to remember to keep your industrial platform scale functioning properly:
- Make sure the scale is placed on a hard and even surface for accurate measurements.
- Most scales need to be used on a vibration-free area, unless they have the necessary environment setting.
- Avoid rough handling and shaking the scale, as it may damage the electronics as well as load cell.
- Do not overload the scale beyond its maximum capacity, as this will cause damage to the load cell.
- Replace the scale’s batteries when the low battery indicator appears.
- Do not disassemble your scale unnecessarily.
Get the best industrial platform scale for your business
At Anyscales, we offer industrial platform scales that are durable, non-corrosive and water resistant, perfect for businesses that need to weigh large and heavy items. They include:
This series of bench mount or floor mount range of platform scales include trade approved as well as non-trade models. The KAM and KAL models have the display on the column, while the display for the KBM models are located on the front of the scale near the weighing pan. Features of the FG series include:
- Super high 1g accuracy models
- High resolution mode selectable
- Counting function
- Comparator function
- Auto power off
- Environment setting
- Optional RS232C interface
- Dual power supply source
- Roller feet are optional extras
The Defender 3000 platform scales feature durable all-stainless steel bases and columns, making them ideal for wash down applications. The IP66 stainless steel indicator has various modes, allowing the scale to be customized for a wide variety of specific applications. Other features include:
- Five popular capacities, and three platform sizes to choose from
- Scale displayed resolutions 1:12,000-15,000 (with temporary high resolution display)
- Stainless steel load cell IP67
- High contrast single-line backlit LCD display with 25mm tall digits
- 3-colour checkweigh LED and setpoint beeper
- Multiple weighing units, including custom unit
- Multiple user-activated modes, including dynamic-animal weighing and display hold
- Universal switching power supply with optional rechargeable NiMH battery
- Built-in RS232 and external input
The PL3000 platform scale is designed for reduced flexing, a major cause of load cell failures. It is also one of the industry leaders in the fixed foot design. The PL3000 scale is available in three options: painted, galvanized or stainless steel finish. Other features include:
- Capacity: 2000kg, but can be set to 3000kg if needed
- Division size: 1kg
- Trade and non-trade versions available
- Designed to ensure rigidity of the top plate to assist in even loading
- Comes with Trade Approved Load Cells (563YH 1t Alloy Steel)
- Built for industrial purposes
- All bases have 150% overload protection
- Weight indicator options include: Ohaus T31, Anyscale FR-240 and Ricelake 480